Taylor Township

Taylor lies in the northern section of the township and covers twenty square miles of land. Taylor township shares its northern border with Putnam county. Eel River flows through the central portion of the township and Brush Creek enter it in Sections 27 and 28 and flows southeasterly.

The first permanent settlement in the township was that made by Andrew Evans in Section 9 as early as 1817,although he didn't move to the property for another two years. Samuel Evans, the brother of Andrew, came around the same time and settled in the southern portion of the township and remained here until about 1863. Abraham Henderson came in 1820 and settled in the southern part of the township. William Baker arrived about the same year and purchased land in section 2. Jesse Henderson, brother of Abraham also became a resident around the same time period, however, he didn't secure land until a much later date.

Nicholas Devore settled here and entered land in 1822, followed shortly later by land entries made by the following surnames; Bennington, Payne, Lockridge, Fisher. John Dunkin and son, Freeborn became residents around 1824 entering land in section 23. William Combs arrived in 1825 from Nelson county Kentucky and settled in section 26, just south of the village of Quincy. Other settlers who appeared in 1825 were Partlow, Champer, Johns, Conn, Hallenbeck and Hartsock.

The first frame houses in the township were erected by John Mugg and William Combs as early as 1836. Abner Goodwin built the first brick residence a few years later near the village of Mill Grove. It is said that John Dunkin planted the first orchard with seeds he brought from a cider mill in New York. William Combs and the Lockridges also set out early orchards.

The first mill in the township was constructed by Daniel Hartsock in the southwestern area of the township. John Mugg operated a distillery in an early day, buying all the surplus corn in the neighborhood and shipping his product down Eel River on flatboats. Although Mr Mugg was a sincere Christian and Elder in the Baptist Church , at that time the manufacture of spirits was considered a respectable venture. Mr Devore succeeded Mr Mugg in this business and James Johnston opened a tanning yard in the year 1844.

One of the first deaths in the township was that of an infant of William Combs. A daughter of Mr Gillaspy was the first persons buried in the graveyard south of Quincy (probably Combs). John Muggs, Sr died about the year 1836.


Schools were a major concern for the early settlers although they had no schoolhouses, no funding and no qualified teachers. Even with the lack of these items, schools were organized and children were taught. The exact date of the first school taught in the township is unknown, nor could the name of the first teacher be found. There was a small school taught in a cabin in the southeast part of the township and like other schools of the time, it was supported by subscription; the teacher received $1.25 for each student for a three month school term. The first building used for this was used also as a meeting house. There were 15 students in this first school, which was considered a large amount for the time. The early teachers were; John Hart, John Jones, and Charles Hollingsworth. Two other such schools stood in the township, one near Mill Grove and the other in the eastern part of the township.A log structure about one and a half miles south of Quincy was used by teachers Samuel Steele and Augustus Wedding. When the law was adopted providing public schools the township was divided into districts and better buildings were constructed. Teachers in the years 1882-1883 were ; S. M. Ralston, D.G. Deane, Florence Raper, T. H. Scott, H.V. Dunkin and J.E. Hester.



Mill Grove-- was surveyed in March of 1835 and it sits in section 33 in the northwest corner. The plat shows 21 lots, all but a couple are 60 feet wide. John Hallenbeck was the proprietor and few lots were ever sold. No improvements of any note were made. With the exception of a mill, nothing remains here in present day.

Quincy--was created by several different things, foremost the completion of the Louisville and New Albany Railroad and the secondary thing being the demand in the area for a market and post office. The town was surveyed in June of 1853 for proprietor, William Hart and 39 lots were situated in Section 26, two years later an additional 74 lots were made to the original plat. The first enterprise was that of a saw mill operated by William Hart for the purpose of building material for the railroad. The operation needed several hands and therefore brought persons to settle in the village. Among the first residents were D.B. Gray, William R. Keith, Samuel Pittman, William Vestle, M.L. Orrell, and Dr. D.H. McDonald. Mr D.B. Gray sold goods from a small building and over the following years this mercantile was run by numerous others, however, it seems that for one reason or another; whether fire or financial embarrassment, none ever seemed successful at it for a long duration. The first postmaster was William Vestle when it was moved from Mill Grove. The name was changed to match the town in 1856. The Quincy Flouring Mill was built in 1856 and turned out about 40 barrels daily.